If somebody hacked your email account, it would ASSIST them for the
following things

1) They would know many "secret" things about you / your knowledge
2) They could request / authenticate a PIN reset.
3) They could request a replacement credit card to be sent to another
address under their control.

and so on.

The hacked email by itself would be very useful, but not always
sufficient for their purposes. It may require supplementing by
impersonation or interception of snail mails etc.

Sarbajit