Owen Densmore wrote at 03/18/2012 12:02 PM:
> Larry Lessig apparently has two interesting views on AE
>
> 1 - Anonymous contributions: He's not bothered by them, mainly because
> not even the AE candidates will know who they are, thus not having power
> over the candidate.

Re: Lessig's anonymity argument.  I found this comment interesting:

http://www.johnlumea.com/2012/03/the-shadow-super-pac-of-centrism.html

"But, for some observers, it is not down at the granular, personal level
of quid pro quo that the opportunity and the risk for corruption is most
evident at Americans Elect. Rather, it is up at the systemic, process
level — the level that, in order to see what's going on, requires a
wider-angle lens that Lessig seems unwilling to use."

As I see it, this is the same extent of the disagreement between Steven
Aftergood of Secrecy News and Wikileaks.  They're both on the same side,
but Aftergood is willing to accept a little secrecy (or bureaucratic
viscosity in the flow of information) in the name of rationality whereas
Wikileaks identifies secrecy itself as part of the problem.  I happen to
come down on the open side in both arguments.  I.e. I don't buy Lessig's
argument at all.  There is only anonymity for the individuals, not for
the _corporation_ we call Americans Elect (which has an executive team
and a board of directors with powers beyond those of the "delegates").

In more positive news:

https://www.fas.org/blog/secrecy/2012/03/gao_expands.html

"A classified GAO review of FBI counterterrorism programs has been
completed, and a GAO investigation of the role of contractors in
intelligence is in progress."

--
glen