Sorry for the late response, Russ, but thank you for your sanity.  In these
days of despising The Other, good manners are much appreciated.

A Jesuit wrote a book about interviews he had with silicon valley
engineers/scientists about religion and their attitudes towards it. (Talk
about the lion's den!)  In it he talks about The Litany.  Not one used in a
mass, but the flood of "I can't believe you believe/did XX".

He learned to stay quiet for the several minutes it took for the flood to
abate. (As the Vatican Astronomer, he's used to it, 1/2 the year in
Flagstaff, the other just south of Rome where pretty good small body
astronomy is done)

Then at the end, very gently, he had to explain: I really don't care about
these things, I only care about what I can control/be and do that the best
I can.

It was the most liberating realization of its kind for me because it was
true for me as well.

So thanks again!

   -- Owen