My fantasy is that we all get together to form a Dr/patients association and
conspire against the insurance companies.

From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of Pamela McCorduck
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 1:33 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Old Folks Only: Medicare & Plan F

Robert, nearly none of my Manhattan doctors takes Medicare, and that's been
true for about a decade. Luckily, Joe is still working, and we pay for the
Columbia faculty medical plan, but when that stops, I don't know what we'll
do. I can't blame the docs--the fees from Medicare are negligible compared
to Manhattan expenses.

Free market medicine working so, so well.

What you're complaining about, Nick (and I agree) is a result of docs taking
on far too many patients, giving them too little time, again a function of
the crackpot non-system we have. With single-payer, we would immediately
save thirty percent at least of what we shell out, and patients and doctors
could split that savings. As most of you know, we are surrounded in Santa Fe
by people who have no insurance at all.

I had dinner the other night with the guy in charge of Google's medical
records effort... Google's defunct medical records effort. As they were
getting acquainted with the general non-system, they realized that privacy
laws would keep them from verifying that their record-keeping programs
actually worked! Impossible to penetrate the silos that exist from one
medical center to the next. Google pulled the plug.

Is it do-able technically? Of course. The Veterans Administration does it
handily. Will it be done in our lifetimes? Unlikely. So the next time you
hear someone tell you how much money we're going to save through electronic
medical records, you can smile. Wryly.