You couldn't figure out a way to put it to sleep in it's dock in a Dell
facility with something more flammable (wooly-buggers or, perhaps, their
cleaning fluid) than the motherboard?

On Apr 21, 2012, at 6:20 AM, Edward Angel wrote:

I had a somewhat similar experience with Dell.

I bought a laptop and docking station that had a serious defect. If I left the
laptop asleep in the dock, it would slowly heat up but the fan would not go on.
Consequently, the mother board would burn out in a few days. This was a design
defect that affected this model as was ascertained by Dell replacing the mother
board and dock a few times. I requested Dell to simply replace the computer
with another model that didn't have this problem. They refused since my
warranty and extended warranty called only for repair of the computer I had
bought. They were perfectly willing to keep replacing the mother board every
few weeks for the next three or so years until my extended warranty expired,
even though at every level they admitted that their policy was costing them a
lot more than replacing the computer. Finally, going as far up the chain as I
could, even writing to Michael Dell (with no response), the best I could do was
to never put the docked machine to sleep.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)   an...@cs.unm.edu<mailto:an...@cs.unm.edu>
505-453-4944 (cell)  http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel