Sorry to be late responding .. we're getting ready for a trip to Italy for
6 weeks and boy, does that require a LOT of work!

As I understand it, you're pointing out that the catholic church was
culpably silent on the child sex scandals.  I TOTALLY agree!

I'd like to distinguish between organizations and the community.  Although
the organization failed as you say, the community did not.  There was huge
outcry by the members of the church against the culpable actions of the
organization.  Also, there was considerable outcry by the priests (as
opposed to bishops etc.)

I've had several similar but less severe differences with the church.  The
local bishop, for example, sent a memo to all his staff and priests, and
asked for it to be read at mass.  I started telling my priest about this
and he stopped me after the first words, with a vehement outburst about how
the vast majority agreed with me.  And they were later quite open about
this.

What I have discovered about religion is that this organization vs
community is important.  All organizations out there: please raise your
hand if you are perfect!  I know a guy who had to raise his voice, via a
web site, about the Bad and Ugly at LANL.  I can point you to "liberal"
groups within most organizations which do speak out and do have
organizational leaders who do so as well.

The discussion on child abuse was so much discussed from the pulpit that I
learned a great deal.  One was a plea to protect homosexuals within the
community, child abuse is orthogonal to homosexuality.  Another was that
the  percentage of child abuse in various organizations (recently the NFL
for example) is often the same degree and handled as badly.

Any way, I see your points and agree with them.

   -- Owen