Eric,

I think this is brilliant.  I would love to see 10 years of law removal.
I'm afraid Obamacare lost me the second I heard about its size.  It is
disenfranchising, not only for the voters, but for the congressman who
couldn't digest it.

We pass laws, and if they don't work we add complications.  If the courts
nullify parts, we add workarounds, until we have something incomprehensible,
ineffective for its intended purpose, but very good at gumming up the works.
Consider the pointless mess campaign finance reform laws have become.

I love creativity and am always open to trying something new -- but real
creativity includes a willingness to see if it worked, undo the damage, and
try something different if it doesn't.  The governments (federal, state) are
weak on step 2.

The useful distinction here is may be complexity vs. complication, and a
bias towards control.  Huge bodies of laws and rulings may give the illusion
of control and certainty, but they deaden the vast network of interactions
which make us up.  The Federal Reserve, managing one to two key variables
(the discount rate and the reserve requirement) is more effective than the
huge bodies of regulation which are so ripe with unintended consequences
(e.g. the Mark to Market rule).

-Mike Oliker

                "Message: 10