Dave and Jenny -

In the spirit of living vicariously, I took a moment to map a presumed route (by Nissan Patrol, Jeepney, Motorcycle and/or foot)... with the help of course, of Google (long name for an all-knowing God?) Acquiring a "Seep" like this modified one <http://www.4wdonline.com/Mil/HalfSafe.html>, might save some $$ on ocean transport.

Over 37K kilometers (37Megalometers?) and a suggested 633 hours of riding... which I think would include sitting on the bike while on the ship from Japan to Hawaii to Seattle... not required I don't think, though "sitting" is an important part of Buddhist practice isn't it?

At the risk of experiencing the locations out of chronological order, this could be cut by about 6M and 70 hours?

Google is not quite all-knowing enough yet to give us public transportation directions... but prescribed walking route is similar to the driving one... slowing you down from 50kph to more like 5kph and 6100 hours. Walking meditation is a higher form than sitting isn't it? 254 days nominally... if you choose to walk it, maybe Google will equip you with a ladybug and underwrite your expenses in return for a complete Streetview sequence of the whole route. Or bring Microsoft into the discussion and start a bidding war?

Ironically Google Warns:

   /*Walking directions are in beta.*/
   /Use caution -- This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian
   paths./

Google is like the Roman or Norse God of navigation, inheriting many characteristics from the Greek version known as AAA, presumably upgraded with modern features but lacking some of the old school charm?

If you meet the Buddha (or Marco Polo) en route it is conventional to kill him... good luck or karma or something. But I think you already knew this.

I'm guessing you will be flying commercial... using local transport... etc. It sounds like a great trip... Is Sarbajit's location on your agenda? Any other FRIAMers vaguely on your path?

Happy Travels... the rest of us will settle for rereading our tattered copies of Siddhartha or z+Motorcyle Mtc. or Watt's "The Book" or for the more mathematically inclined, Paul Erdos imaginary book by the same name.

   /Paul Erdo"s <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Erd%C5%91s>//, who
   often referred to "The Book" in which //God
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God>//keeps the most elegant proof of
   each mathematical //theorem
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorem>//. During a lecture in 1985,
   Erdo"s said, "You don't have to believe in God, but you should
   believe in The Book./"

I am a doubter (is that the opposite of a faither?), and doubt that anyone can recognize, much less define "the most elegant proof". I think this is an undecideable problem.

Decidedly Yours,
- Steve

If people are really interested in the evolution of Buddhism - Jenny
Quillien and I are planning a "Buddha Tour" - a month long study trip
starting at Bodh Gaya (birthplace) then proceeding to Dharmsala (Tibetan
variation) - Bangkok (Hinayana variation) - shaolin (the Taoist
infusion) - Nara Japan (Zen) - then San Francisco (Watts and Suzuki).
The focus of the study will be on epistemology and metaphysics with a
small amount of critical examination of the "Tao of Physics" "Quantum
Consciousness" claim that Buddhism and Taoism anticipated quantum
physics.

Let me know - off-list - if you are interested in being kept current
with out plans.  (It will be pricey because of all the travel, but it
should be a good month.)  Asian Philosophy was my undergraduate major
and I have been studying it since 1968.

davew (profw...@fastmail.fm)