On 9/26/2012 7:02 PM, Roger Critchlow wrote:
But start at 1:54:00 and listen to the last three minutes and fourteen seconds, and give me your interpretation.
Around 1:47:30 Dawkins makes remark about finding out the "fact of the matter". And how "passionate" he was about it. This leads to Hitchens asserting that all religions are equally wrong, and that the menace of religion coming from the "surrender of the mind"

I think an unstated psychological distinction is between `getting to truth Z' vs. `denying yourself truths A-Y'. To see anything like the truth in the natural world one must attempt to mask every bias and only to realize the truth will still be, even after extensive falsification, ambiguous. Having nothing nailed down is just more difficult and stressful. (Constrained views of the world apparently do make people happy -- http://pewresearch.org/assets/social/pdf/AreWeHappyYet.pdf .) But having the drive to some arbitrary Z has a psychological property seen in religion: belief without evidence. In this view, the surrender of the mind is also a sort of character weakness. Meanwhile, scientific culture even advocates pigheaded sloppiness known as the hypothesis.

Hitchens goes on to talk about the distinction of offending one Muslim vs. a billion of them -- or rather why anyone would see the former as equivalent to the latter. It would be weakness to decide the merit of an idea based on the implied threats of an unthinking group; it's important to be prepared to go it alone. Just to prove he means it, he takes shots at more religions. (Mostly for dramatic effect, I'd say, but fair enough anyway.)

Toward the end, what I think he's worrying about is the possibility that the greater (world) population just can't do without having some stupid fairy tale to stick to (and especially to stick to each other). Since he equates religious thinking to disease contagion, he clearly envisions a future where the fervent outnumber the sober. He only suggests one scenario, though. Part of what makes the U.S. government act is defense of secularism, the Constitution, and all that. Another part is that unleashed fervor is bad for business -- like when it involves valuable natural resources. Hitchens mentions the U.S. military as a likely appeal, but not other powerful secular actors of Asia that have their own interests to protect, and could be pretty nasty about it if they were so inclined. "Recess is over -- now put down that book of holy words and get your lazy *ss down to the factory, would you?" (I just knew globalization must have some benefit!)

Marcus