ERIC P. CHARLES wrote at 09/27/2012 06:53 PM:
> Well... so much for discussing modeling...

I don't get what you mean by that.  In order to model, you have to have
something to model.  You suggested that agents subscribing to social
liberalism had a particular justification problem (contradict their own
doctrine - intra-agent contradiction - or tolerate doctrinal
contradictions between agents).  But you leaped from the realm of
thought (hypocrisy/contradiction) to mechanism/ontology (tolerant
society) without providing any _thing_ to model.  There's no referent to
which a model can refer.  Or, even if there is one, it's too vague to grok.

It's bad practice to reverse engineer a model from analytic methods like
contradiction.  A better route is the forward, synthetic,
constructionist map from mechanism to phenomena.  Once you have at least
one forward map, you can begin serious work on the inverse map.

I suggested a mechanism: currency and trade.  From that referent you
should be able to build a model mechanism from which consistent
justification can emerge.  Steve further suggested some nuance to the
mechanism that may well add finer grained building blocks (IOU vs. YOM).
 And I then elaborated a bit on the objects being traded (distinguishing
between necessary vs. luxury goods) and suggested that a model measure
_other_ than the currency itself be used to observe the system.

Steve also mentioned using a semi-closed agent so that its interface
(trading) is a projection of a larger internal system (which would give
it some hysteresis and perhaps lower its predictability without adding
any stochasticity).

Bruce, earlier, tossed in the option to measure the system as a network
and, perhaps, a hint at a hypothesis that might be tested: agents
primarily motivated to trade facilitate larger, more connected networks.

Then you, David, and Carl began hashing out whether the model should be
rule-based or not.  I read Carl's comment as a suggestion that each
agent could be rule-based, but use different rules, some of which might
be reflective.  I.e. one agent's rules might take expressions of other
agents' rules as inputs ... i.e. meta-rules or rule operators.

This seems like a very common casual modeling conversation, to me.
What's questionable is whether the mechanism we've suggested so far will
contribute to a debate about religion and atheism.

--
glen