From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Parks, Raymond
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:03 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] [EXTERNAL] Re: Privacy vs Open Public Data

Social structures work because we don't have to always be completely
truthful.  "White lies" grease the gears of society.  Bruce points out that
Japanese society engages in the illusion of privacy - western societies do
that, also.  I'm not talking only about "That outfit doesn't make you look
fat".  I'm also talking about simple things like shopping at a store that
competes with your friend's store or seeing a doctor not your primary care
provider for a second opinion.  Some folks can do these things boldly and
without caring about hurting someone's feelings.  Most folks prefer
discretion and no hurt feelings.

If your PCP or store-owner friend can easily find out that you've been
straying, their feelings will be hurt doubly - because you didn't trust them
or preferred a better price and because you did it "behind their back".
There's no shame or guilt to what you've done - but society runs smoother if
there are no hurt feelings, also.

Ray Parks

Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager

V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084

NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov

SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov (send NIPR reminder)

JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov (send NIPR reminder)