I doubt if it could be automated without one of
1 - Serious obeying of an agreed upon structure of the emails
2 - Serious machine learning algorithms

Instead, there are lots of tools that make it easier for you to do it by
hand. An example is the class of "productivity tools" called outliners.
 Here's a discussion of a set of them.
     http://goo.gl/q27LJ
Don't worry about their being mac oriented, there are web versions and
versions for every computer.

Another approach would be for us all to stop using mail and instead use
something that lends itself to different "views" .. like outliners do.
 Using social media like Google+ etc help because they are designed to be
"mashed up".

Tom may have a handle of several such tools.

   -- Owen