My mistake in reading your note was to have in mind the local professor,
not undergrad or graduate teaching assistants. In our own implementation of
a giant course, we did quite a lot of training and support of the TAs, and
we structured lab and problem sessions in such a way that the TA needed
only to be an assistant and helper, with activities that put much of the
responsibility for learning on the students.