Steve

Being a devotee of ancient computing devices myself, I was responding to
Doug's TRS-80 ascii comment

here's what a 16x2 LCD module looks like
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hN2n9HggfCw/T2TOHEMIAsI/AAAAAAAAAAc/LrJ6uy2cNrs/s1600/lcd162b-yhy.jpg

These critters are so ubiquitous that you fail to see them. These modules
have an 8 bit data bus to communicate with Z-80s, 8085 etc (nowadays though
PICS, AVRs and ATMELs). They also have a facility to split the 8 bit data
into 2 successive nibbles of 4 bits (ie 4 pins + 2 control pins= 6 pins).
This allows for instance a 12 or 14 PIC (with 8 - 10  I/O lines) to be used
to implement very small devices. The design advantage ot using these
standard displays versus dedicated/custom displays is that they have no
end-of-life problems. They were available 20 years ago and still seem to be
going very strong with prices falling to @ US$1 per unit

Sarbajit