Steve,

I guest the point of this exercise is to determine if there are search
correlations that can be teased out of (the incredibly dirty) twitter data
which can be used to produce meaningful studies.

Other people say they've used Twitter data to produce more accurate and/or
timely influenza outbreak predictions than, say, the CDC.  But on the other
hand, Google Flu Trends totally missed the boat this year.

Plus, I just like airing messy code.

--Doug