If you attempt to follow hashtags, the signal-to-noise ratio will be pretty
poor.  Hashtag search is good if you are interested in a specific topic and you
don't necessarily know who will be talking about it.  For example,
#overlyhonestmethods
(https://twitter.com/search?q=%23overlyhonestmethods&src=hash) has scientists
talking about how they actually do research, which is hilarious.  Of course it
also has people talking about  scientists talking about how they actually do
research (which is generally the noise).  It's also good for following trending
stories, like Dennis Rodman in North Korea:
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23theworm&src=typd

A much better strategy for getting a good S/N ratio on Twitter is to follow
people who post useful content.  Tim O'Reilly (the publisher) is a great
example: https://twitter.com/timoreilly

Some more examples related to complexity:
The Santa Fe Institute: https://twitter.com/sfi_news
Complexity Digest (curated by Carlos Gershenson): https://twitter.com/cxdig
or just Carlos Gershenson directly: https://twitter.com/cgershen
Pierre Omidyar: https://twitter.com/pierre

Just find people who have interests in line with yours and follow them.  Most
of the value from Twitter comes from links to other content on the web, unless
you really are interested in whenever your favorite celebrity gets a coffee at
Starbucks...

Brent

 From: Robert Holmes <rob...@robertholmes.org>