I have found iPhoto to do amazing things *specifically* with face finding/matching but don't think it is generalized.

I don't find Google Image's search by example all that good, it's ideas of what is similar can be pretty obvious without being at all what I wanted. I still use it to good effect, I'm just not sure it is as good as you might want for your purposes. I don't know that you can harness Google for your purposes though if you have the images on a public website (or Flikr?) you might be able to constrain your search to that site/collection using the "site:" tag in the search. In any case playing with Google Image's search by example is a worthwhile experiment to get some experience.

I assume you are wanting to categorize your photos of your own made objects and are probably keying (in your own mind) on shape, pattern (dots, stripes, zigzags) and color qualities (maybe not as similar as hues or saturation , but more likely contrastiness?) I think these are good/correct/motivated things to categorize on (especially as I think I understand your likely needs) but I'm not sure if there is anything out there (yet), but the way development is going these days, I could be dead wrong.

This correlates with other things I'm doing so I'll take a look around and hope someone else here is has some more specific experience.

- Steve
Hello all-
Mebbe the amassed brain and experience power here can help me:

Do any of you have a good lead on an effective image-sorting program that sorts by visual characteristics?

I have thousands of images, many of them different sizes and duplicates of art photos: so a single object in a white field. No, I did not take the time to label them, so keyword and date details are not going to work. The best lead I've had so far, from the local Mac experts at DotFoil, was to hire someone to manually sort them. Wellllllllll......... There has to be a better way now adays.

Second query: anyone have a good program for generating a site map?
For a Wordpress site, with a Headway template.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Also, I'm signed up for Scott Page's Model Thinking course. Thanks for pointing it out.

Best to all-
Tory