What I have seen of less has been all good.  Having variables and functions
alone make css a lot more fun.  Mixins are great with all the clean up they can
bring by abstracting things that in reality have to be dealt with in series of
one offs for different browsers.

It requires a compiler.  You run a watcher that automatically updates every
time you save the file.  These things can be misconfigured or stop working,
which is a bother, but same as any other automatic build process.

I have been on projects using Compass http://compass-style.org/ lately.  Adding
ruby in the mix can make for some interesting scripts when you need to compile
css for different situations (like having your static content on a CDN with a
different URL while your dev compile is served on the app nodes itself).

--joshua