Perhaps harder to deal with than we think.

http://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2013/03/15/meta-rationality/

On 3/23/13 4:47 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
Nick -

I suppose *willful ignorance* is a variant of "evil", but I think a *lot* of what looks like "simple" incoherence is actually willful.

- Steve

At the risk of thread-bending, I would like to point out that every conversation we have these days, from daylight savings to google, seems to be about the same issue. How do we tell the difference between incoherence and lying? Lying presupposes a fundamental coherence in the entity of which we are speaking. For an organization to be lying, the guy in the office with the window has to know that the guy in the windowless cubicle is telling you something that isn't true. When the Rand Paul organization corrected the Boss on his position on immigration the other day, was this restoring coherence? Or do they not know the truth about what The Boss actually thinks. Or, is the human individual, the physical entity we call Rand Paul, not itself a coherent psychological entity. Can one lie about one's own position on a matter? If so, where resides the state of affairs about one's position other than in one's own declarations of it. In short, "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men. ...... The Shadow Knows."

Nick

*From:*Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] *On Behalf Of *Douglas Roberts
*Sent:* Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:05 PM
*To:* The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
*Subject:* [FRIAM] Another Saturday, another Google fib sees the light of day

Thought for the day: If you decide to start a company, it's probably not a good idea to adopt the motto "Don't be evil" if you plan on using marketing campaigns that rely on spouting humongous fibs about your product's deficiencies.

http://things-linux.blogspot.com/2013/03/translated.html

--Doug

--

/Doug Roberts