Yes, most currently wooded population areas in the West were pretty much
lumbered out for railroad ties, mine frames, and buildings during the 19th
Century.  Pictures of the Durango and Silverton area show the extent of that
lumbering.

  A while back, the Corps of Engineers wanted to to do some work on the levee
and bypass ditch that protects Corrales from Rio Grande flooding.  They
intended to use bull-dozers and other equipment, which caused a great outcry
from the environmentally-inclined about how the work would destroy old-growth
trees in the Corrales bosque.   They were somewhat embarrassed when old-timers
pointed out that those old-growth trees had replaced the trees wiped out by the
big flood in 1941 - not old-growth at all.  Of course, much of the concern came
from folks who don't realize that cottonwoods rarely live beyond 50 years,
anyway.  Some forests never grow old.

  I wonder if one of the reasons that the juniper and piƱon around Santa Fe
have succumbed to bark beetle is because they are invasive species - certainly
there was something else growing in the area worth lumbering that has been
replaced by the trees which are not.

  It's a fascinating aspect of human nature that we assume that nature as we
see it has been that way for eons.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov (send NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov (send NIPR reminder)