Gil -

My wife and I reduced from 3 to 1 about a year ago since we were using streaming for most of our watching. We don't watch as many DVDs as we used to, so it is hard for me to be sure. My instinct is that the incidence of problems with DVDs *IS* higher than ever since we joined in 2005. On the other hand it is like 1 in 8 with a problem not the other way around.

I'm not sure what device you are watching them with, have you trie dmore than one? Our Macbook Pro SuperDrives are very touchy. I also have a bottle of "Cleaner and Conditioner" that seems to both do a good job of cleaning surface problems but also filling small scratches. The disks we have had problems with have had obvious problems like a crack or a deep gouge.

Hope this helps.

- Steve
Recently I thought I'd re-try out the DVD rental system of netflix:

Last time I had it all the DVDs I got would play just fine. This time around of the 8 DVDs I've gotten so far only one played without any issues.

It took a bit of digging to get a email adress they have several a dvddstribute and info that looked promising.

Did something change in the last year since I last had DVD rentals as part of my netflix plan?