Well said, Steve!  Mostly, what's kept me from commenting on the
"isomorphism" thread is ... well, the word "isomorphism". [grin]

I spend _all_ my time... seriously ... arguing against the "Grand
Unified Model" (GUM).  For some reason, everyone seems so certain,
convicted, that there exists the One True Truth (and they usually think
Cthulu whispers in their ear about it).  Even those of us who admit that
it may not exist, claim it's a Worthy Goal and we should all tow the line.

I do not believe there exists a single isomorphism between computing and
philosophy.  If _any_ exist at all, there are many. [*] And if I believe
that, then I have to consider the efficacy of my spending time figuring
out a single isomorphism.  Yes, to show that one exists would be
interesting.  But all it would achieve is continual and annoying
[mis]citation of that one demonstration, giving ammo to the GUM crowd.

Not only is that not in my ideological best interests, it's not even in
my practical best interests.  It would be a result analogous to Goedel's
Incompleteness Theorems, where everyone from postmodern Eddington
typewriters to serious people would jump in and muddy the waters.
Practically, all I want to do is find ways to get my work done and
finding/demonstrating a single isomorphism won't help me do that ...

UNLESS we could demonstrate there are _multiple_ isomorphisms.  Or
better yet, draw up a rough characterization of the distribution of all
morphisms, including multiple iso-s.

In the interests of problem solving, perhaps we could break down the
task and, rather than searching for an isomorphism, we could just lay
out one example morphism in some practical detail?  I think we could
mine the IACAP crowd for examples: http://www.iacap.org/  I had a lot of
fun at the one meeting of theirs I managed to attend.

[*] I'll leave the parentheticals alone and avoid trying to explain how
there can be multiple isomorphisms between any 2 particular things. ;-)

--
=><= glen e. p. ropella
And I know I ain't digging on your lies