I am just now skimming a book, _Shop Class as Soulcraft_ by Matthew B. Crawford. It relates to the (meta) discussion(s) at hand in the following manner:

Crawford has a BS in Physics and a PhD in Philosophy yet chooses to make his living as a Motorcycle Mechanic (supplemented by writing books like this one). He apprenticed as an electrician starting at age 14 and between his BS and his PhD worked as an electrician (residential), under his own shingle. His voice is more like that of Henry Petrotski, Michael Pollan, or Bill McKibben than Robert Persig, but the motorcycle tie-in is powerful. Especially if you ride and maintain motorcycles.

Crawford is erudite and astute in his writing and apparently in his life. He would likely support Glen's regular assertions that *doing* matters more than *thinking* or maybe more pointedly: *doing* is what matters, and *thinking* is another matter altogether. And this is a man who obviously spent a lot of years training his *thinker*, despite also having spent his time working with his hands and choosing to continue to do so on a daily basis.

I believe that some of the discontent being expressed on this list, perhaps most acutely attributed to Doug, aka TrollBoi (grin), is roughly predicated on the assumption that there is a whole lot of *talking* going on and not (necessarily) a whole lot of *doing* even (perhaps?) in the form of *careful* thought, which in my book is a form of *doing*. (more on this on Glen's thread maybe).

I share Nick's hope (more a belief) that there is in fact a dialectic ongoing within these frayed and tangled threads... I certainly will claim to have been informed by others' perspectives and persuaded by their reasoned arguments. I very much appreciate Nick's attempts to nudge various threads back into some form of dialectic. I don't know that my own efforts are as effective, though I do have plenty of off-list communication amongst some of the folks I know here independent of FRIAM that tells me that I do at least provide entertainment or it's weak cousin, distraction.

Doug alluded to there being no shortage of *pontification* here, and while I think I *do* feel that from time to time, here and there, what I suppose I feel I hear more of is *speculation* which I happen to hold in high esteem... following my own round-n-round-the-mulberry-bush with Glen on "Scientific Method" and in particular "Hypothesis Generation". Speculation is either part of or one mechanism of hypothesis generation (in my experience).

There are a number of topics of discussion here which do little to move me. It is within the context of *those* discussions that I find myself judging others' contribution as being possibly idle or worse, vainglorious. (Just to pontificate and tangent, did anyone here know that "vainglory" was once it's own deadly sin independent of "vanity" which is just an expression of "pride"?).

I am, despite being a programmer by trade (once full time, now only incidentally) and a computer scientist (partly by training, much by practice), not terribly interested in the details of the latest nuances of programming languages whether that be JavaScript, Python, or Haskell. Nor of the latest details of network security or cryptography. Or the best cell phone coverage/plan/device/snafu. But I mostly just skim over them, see if there is a gem I can learn from and go on. Gawd knows I have enough things to have opinions on without including detailed nuances of these bits of tradecraft.

I am, at best, an armchair Cosmologist. I've been around (BS Physics in the 70's, 30 years at LANL) deep physics and the cosmology that it supports to feel that I've "heard it all". I *love* the many things that evolved through the 80's and 90's in this arena but I have ceased to keep up... so again, I just read on through and look for nuggets without getting my knickers in a twist if I hear something that sounds wrong to me or if I simply get bored. I am not easily bored, but some of the talk here (probably a near perfect complement to what bores Doug) bores *me* to distraction.

But I *love* learning. I love my own process of learning by doing, but more to the point, many acts along the continuum of learning by hypothesis generation and testing (with iteration). I *love* watching others exercising their curiosity and get rewarded in many ways. And this is the very best part of FRIAM... when someone reports or shares a new discovery they just made (themselves more than in the popular press) or insight they had. And when a discussion yields a new understanding of a given problem, of a given situation, even better.

I also love language. Not just the sound of my own "voice" but the many truly erudite voices here that rise up above the babble from time to time. There are several here who regularly teach me new words, or better yet, a more nuanced understanding of words I thought I already knew inside and out.

Sadly these processes are messy. Many mistakes must be made. People must make silly declarations which they might have to retract or modify later. Others will have to snark at them to get them to notice. Darwinian evolution is tragically inefficient by any *engineering* standard and so is this form of sharing the curiosity, wonder and occasionally, aha! that comes about.

I find Doug's "Trolling" affectionate... just as Marcus called him out on checking in on his (love to hate) Nexus4 to harangue us when he should be enjoying his Rosarita (is that a type of Margarita?) at the Dragon (is that in Austin?) and the company of a world much less (obviously) self-involved than the discussions on this list. I found the image of Doug and Pamela sitting side by side in Adirondack chairs sharing a tub of popcorn while the rest of us cavort in front of them, endearing. Obviously our thrashing entertains them, and I take that to be "just enough" encouragement to continue.

just my $US.02
 - Steve