I think a small portion of it is accounted for by businesses having
different ideas of what pisses people off from some of their customers. For
example, many times after signing up for an account with a small startup,
to see what it is, I get an email or often a series of emails from an
employee wanting to help me get started, check in to see how I am doing,
ask for feedback on how I like my experience so far. I usually try to
politely respond by saying I am just checking out their service and don't
need any special attention.
And I have been getting some missed calls to my Google Voice account from a
toll-free number a Google Search identified as Nuance Software; I had
helped my school install Dragon Naturally Speaking on several computers and
must have foolishly put my number down somewhere in the
installation/registration process.
But no doubt much of it is the 'this is cheap, and it will make one in a
thousand people buy [more] stuff from us, so it is worth it' ethic.
-Arlo James Barnes