> I am rapidly becoming envious of a "generation" (there I said it) who will
> have the option of saying "everything I know, I learned from XKCD".   I'm
> already guilty of imagining that "everything I know, I learned from
> Wikipedia".  Wikipedia having it's own feeling of being self-generating.

 Well, it always feels convenient to obtain a consistent body of knowledge
from a single source, but as we have (I think) discussed before, learning
widely and in a varied manner gives you at least the best sense for how
information flows through society, if not an education; and any monolithic
source doubtless has it's roots in a similarly variegated assortment of
origins. This is why teachers always tell you to read the sources on
Wikipedia immediately after you have read the article, a rare piece of good
advice seldom followed. Just today on the radio, I heard a story about an
author finding the existence of a "women's" subcategory under the "novels"
category without an accompanying "men's" subcategory sexist (a quick Google
search turns up little because searches with 'Wikipedia' included turn up
Wikipedia articles foremost).
Basing my judgement only on what I heard in the news report, it sounded
like she was quite right about it being sexist, but her subsequent action,
threatening to sue Wikipedia, confused me. Why not just reorganise the
category and scold the editor who first organised it that way? Do people
not understand where stuff on Wikipedia comes from? Perhaps this is another
case of assuming a single origin when in fact the origins are myriad - all
the editors and the notable external sources they cite. Though one could
make the argument that the author was merely trying to create a wider
awareness of how we act when constructing public information resources by
bringing the attention of the world to a small case study, but in my
opinion it sours the public perception of her issue with the situation as
pedantic.

> I also appreciate the comparison made here between FRIAM and "the Aerican
> Empire", though I have no idea what said Empire might be other than a
> virtual/game world created by a combination of individual genius and the
> combined imagination of thousands of internet-mediated game play or
> storytelling.

I should have linked it. The site <http://AericanEmpire.com> explains it
presume you didn't Google it, in which case you made a spot-on guess. Less
roleplay than community discussion, though.
-Arlo James Barnes