 From: Saul Caganoff <scagan...@gmail.com>
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:30 PM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Web meets Print

I've run into this problem twice in the last 12 months in ruby projects. I've
dealt with it in two different ways:

1. Use the 'win32' library in ruby to write out to an MS Word document. In this
case I did report generation followed by ad hoc (manual) edits and styling. I
wouldn't recommend it but can provide code if you want to go this way.

2. In another project where I had to produce PDF invoices I used the Prawn
library which is essentially a ruby DSL for generating PDF:
http://prawn.majesticseacreature.com/

Regards,
Saul

On 12 May 2013 23:46, Robert J. Cordingley <rob...@cirrillian.com> wrote:

Hey Marcus
>Thanks for the pointers which I will look at closely.  So far, they indicate
>to me that this is not a trivial task!
>Robert C
>

>On 5/11/13 9:30 PM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
>
>On 5/11/13 9:22 AM, Robert J. Cordingley wrote:
>>
>>I want to server-side generate a report from a database, automatically
>>paginate it and prepare a table of contents ready for printing.  I'm
>>scripting in PHP against a MySQL database.  I already generate the report in
>>HTML/CSS for presentation on a web page where browser printing leaves much to
>>be desired anyway. Content includes styled text and images.  I don't know
>>ahead of time how much text will be provided by the database or the sizes of
>>any images which are served by URLs. The final document can be of the order
>>of 100-200 pages.

If LaTeX is too unstructured, DocBook might work for you.

>>http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/docbook.html
>>
>>Pandoc is a powerful converter from there..
>>
>>http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/
>>
>>It might be too optimistic to convert your existing HTML to LaTeX, but it
>>might be worth a try.
>>
>>Marcus

Saul Caganoff
Enterprise IT Architect