Roger,

After seeing this, I sent a question to the quoted researcher, Scott
Bachmeier, about his method for calculating plume height. I asked if it was
based on  from a single image using sun angle and shadows, multiple
offset satellite
images or ground triangulation His reply just came in:

  "I was using a Cloud Top Height product derived using POES AVHRR data.
Actually, I fear that one of my emails was misquted: I think those numbers
referred to the Silver fire on the following day!"

Here's a NOAA page on AVHRR:
  http://www.class.ngdc.noaa.gov/data_available/avhrr/index.htm

I skimmed the page but don't completely grok how height is estimated from
the measurements.

-S