On Tue, 2013-06-18 at 07:37 -0600, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/17/edward-snowden-nsa-files-whistleblower
>
> "They are legally compelled to comply and maintain their silence in
> regard to specifics of the program, but that does not comply them from
> ethical obligation. If for example Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and
> Apple refused to provide this cooperation with the Intelligence
> Community, what do you think the government would do? Shut them down?"

I think Snowden is being a bit naive:

-----------------------
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwest#Refusal_for_NSA_spying

"Former Qwest CEO Joseph Nacchio, convicted of insider trading in April
2007, alleged in appeal documents that the NSA requested that Qwest
participate in its wiretapping program more than six months before
September 11, 2001. Nacchio recalls the meeting as occurring on February
27, 2001. Nacchio further claims that the NSA cancelled a lucrative
contract with Qwest as a result of Qwest's refusal to participate in the
wiretapping program.[13] Nacchio surrendered April 14, 2009 to a federal
prison camp in Schuylkill, Pennsylvania to begin serving a six-year
sentence for the insider trading conviction. The United States Supreme
Court denied bail pending appeal the same day."

The beauty of the corporation, is that it can survive the removal of the
humans involved, it's open to material flow.

--
⇒⇐ glen e. p. ropella
I said children of the atom I'm gonna set you right