One thing to consider is "mobile" .. i.e. do you want this to work across a
wide range of devices: phones, tablets, laptops etc.  If so, you'll need to
consider various options for "responsive design", .. i.e a design that
automatically adjusts to the device and its screen size.  Ditto for "touch"
vs "mouse" (good libraries for that).

If not, there are a few of us (Ben L. for example) who've used Angular for
a nice interface, including event binding and UI elements .. which he
integrated with Firebase (a web service syncing events and JSON data across
devices, very cool indeed).

You'll also need to consider the whole client/server thing .. how much do
you want to do on the client vs how much on the server.  I've been amazed
recently how nifty nodejs is.  I've had to use it for desktop use recently,
and am surprised how sophisticated it is.  Ex: I've replaced Make with Cake
(a coffeescript/node stunt that gives you pretty nice workflow tools).

DB, an issue, right?  Firebase can help for fairly simply DBish tasks ..
think of JSON in the cloud.  SimTable is successfully using it.  And there
is a Node/CouchDB library.

Finally, if you really want to go hyper modern, consider JS all the way.
 And a good tool is CoffeeScript which compiles down to JS and is
completely integrated into Node.  Your code size (Lines of Code) will be
about 1/3 native JS.

   -- Owen