Owen -

The last use of my optical drive was completing moving *all* our music to digital (well, except for the vinyl!). Roughly 90GB of music, it turned out. It now lives happily on iTunes Match and Google Play both, should be safe enough. I have the optical (in the mini) such a workout it started to fail! I moved to using the ancient 2006 MBPro, got a "repair disk" for the mini's optical, spun it up and it worked like a charm.
My daughter's partner, a die-hard music lover and musician gave up owning music about 3 years ago and now subscribes to one or more of the services that licenses music and streams it over the internet or downloads it to his iPod for exercise times... I would never have thought he would give up "physical posession" of his recordings!

I think you were referring to something like that when you mentioned a hybrid ssd/hard disk strategy. Move the music (and other large collections .. photos for example) to a HD but have apps and system on ssd. Sounds good.
Actually I was talking about the HD's that have small SSDs built into them. I think you can look at them like large solid state caches. I'm sure the utility and performance depends on the predictability of your disk access/usage.

- Steve