"In my example, the subscribers could continue to get the service at a
given flat rate, but the "system" would then price the value of those
who move bicycles according to supply and demand.   There is not a
stated constraint of providing "jobs" to the movers at a fixed rate?  My
example did transfer the disparity in value of bikes at sinks/sources to
the users."

I could imagine riding quite a bit farther or shorter if there was an LCD
display or Bluetooth signaling to an phone that told me I could save (or
make) a few dollars by changing my destination and walking the rest.

If I'm alone, I will park the car hundreds of feet from the store I'm going
to do if there is any indication of congestion, just because I don't like
looking around, and negotiating with pedestrians, and especially other
cars.   And I like to walk unless there is a hailstorm or something.

If there is a systematic problem in balancing the bikes, I should think the
`system' should rebalance.  However, it sounds like the bulk movers are
high latency, which would be an appeal of getting individuals in a populous
area to do it, assuming there are enough of them that find the incentive
strong enough.

Marcus