That system is essentially what was used in France during their Revolution.

From: Steve Smith [mailto:sasm...@swcp.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2013 10:28 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [FRIAM] Time needs some sanity!

Gil -

Personally: I vote for a time equivalent of the metric system. Considering
moving from days of the week labeled as monday-thursday and just as numbers,
same for months of the year.

There are situations where we use daily cycles and annual cycles as the only
measure  (100 days into the Presidency, or Tax Freedom
Day<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Freedom_Day>) but as the neo-retro luddite
that I am, I would like my calender *more*, not less registered on solar and
lunar cycles.   But the beat frequency between diurnal, synodic, sidereal,
tropical cycles aren't convenient multiples.   Weeks (1/4 moons), months
(moons), years, are sort of a closest fit to something universally observable,
not requiring coordination, just observation.

I *am* surprised that time is the last bastion of ancient standards and
calculations and the sexagesimal system.   10 offers 2 and 5 as prime factors,
60 offers 2, 3, 5 ... not a lot more, but maybe enough to make ad-hoc fractions
much easier.   If we wanted to add 7 or even 11 into it, we'd be up in the 210
and 2310 base range... perhaps a bit too much for any but the savants among us?

Given that days and years have some reasonable correlation with 1/4 fractions
(daybreak, noon, sundown, midnight, winter, spring, summer, autumn) I can live
with a 12 month year and a 24 hour day than say... 10 monthlets of 10 weeklets
of 3.65 days and 10 HOURs roughly 2.4 of our current hours long.. .or 100
hourlets of 16 minutes long...

Just wait until we inhabit other planets/stars... our notion of "standard time"
will go to hell (even more completely).

Meanwhile, I vote to not bother changing our clocks... stay on "standard time".
 And while we are at it, let's not be too hasty about declaring Pi to be equal
to 3 just because it is easier to use.

I also vote for a Zombie Apocalypse.
I think I could pass on the flesh eating
former-family-members-you-have-to-coldly-chop-to-little-pieces-cuz-they-are-undead
 part, but I *am* still drawn (vaguely) by the presumed simplicity of a
post-apocalyptic world.

 It's an illusion, I know, but there is still that imagination that a
primitive, dog-eat-dog (or zombie-eat-human) world would make every moment a
richer experience with less equivocation... but I think tradeoff is a bad one
in the bottom line.