It makes sense in a sorta-kinda way, but after a century of different migration
patterns other than the original east-to-west direction, the effect seems
diluted. I’ve lived in 5 of the regions, and in three of the cases we were near
(i.e. one county in the west, maybe a couple of counties in the east) the
boundary with another region. There were of course differences, but not enough
generalizable ones to justify 11 zones, in my opinion.

—Barry