With all the chatter here about BitCoin, I thought some might be interested in this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1459210729/nio-card-a-smart-card-which-upgrades-your-phone-an

There is a LOT implied here and I didn't take the time to sort through it all (in particular authentication/security/etc) but by combining it with the Bluetooth "Tether" concept, "2G secure data wallet", etc. It seems to make a lot of sense. There are open questions regarding the possible *loss* if the card is lost or destroyed... maybe it is "backed up" in other media (phone, computer, cloud, etc.) but then some of the security of 2nd factor "what you have" is forsaken.

A device like this (protected by conventional physical security you give your wallet/cards/cash today) with BT connectivity to provide "proximity warnings" (if you separate your wallet from your smart-phone or dongles), and cloud/crowd "finding" features... and the implicit 2-factor (what you have-card, what you know-PIN) nature of the system (what you have x2 card+phone?) seems to be more effective than most existing systems.

I didn't notice a password generator/keychain built into the system but surely that is on it's way. The card could probably implement (or may have) a synced clock for strong one-time use crypto.

On the question of whether BitCoin is a Currency or a Bubble... I think it is both... the runaway pricing suggests (without a doubt?) bubble, but as long as adoption increases (more cash going into BitCoins and more places to use them), it is a winner. This device (or others like it?) might make the difference... A fully wireless/electronic/mostly?-secure electronic-debit system?

If/when KickStarter, IndieGoGo and most auspiciously Amazon accept BitCoin as a currency, I think we'll see the bubble inflate some more and the stock for these companies (are K and I even publicly traded?) inflate along with it.

In the theory of "frictionless money", BitCoin might be about to reduce the Newtons/Newton ratio significantly. I am sure someone has done the analysis of the coefficient of friction of various types of value-exchange. Obviously money in the form of precious coinage reduced it quite a bit for relatively small transactions... (a pocket-or-purse full of gold/silver) but at some point, the *abstraction* of money out of physical objects (even paper notes) dropped this ratio significantly. Credit companies and banks hold the monopoly on the infrastructure for these transactions, extracting "value" themselves along the way. BitCoin seems to be at least open/transparent with the "transaction fees" going to the people doing the work to manage the system (self-organized, distributed BitCoin Minters) rather than to the arbitrary monopolizers of the infrastructure.

I have more thoughts on this (as usual) but will stop here.

- Steve