On 12/04/2013 07:39 PM, Nick Thompson wrote:
> Yes (he would say), assuming that you were chosen at random from the
> population of humans, it is a VALID inference from the fact that you can
> break concrete that humans can break concrete.  It is valid because we
> would, if we continued to pick random individuals indefinitely come
> ultimately to the correct conclusion, say, that less than .01 percent of
> humans can break concrete.  Unfortunately, though valid, this inference is
> extraordinarily "weak".   The adjective "weak" seems to relate to how much
> money you should be willing to bet on it.  In this case, with the sample
> size at one, and the population at billions, Peirce would advise you to bet
> very little if anything, until you had a much larger sample.

This effectively demonstrates the fragility of logic (or any purely
delusional/mental construct).  In practice, were you to go around
actually testing people against concrete, the success rate would
_increase_ over time for 2 reasons: 1) people would game the test and 2)
your test would evolve.

In the end, inference relies, in a rather circular way, on ever more
inference.

--
glen ep ropella -- 971-255-2847