Great input, thanks!

I admit to being a browser fan-boy just because, beyond needing a "modern
browser", its config-free.

But I'm definitely open to zero-config of any sort.  Will report.

BTW: The linear algebra course the MOOC is modeled after uses Strang's
Linear Algebra.

Tom: (10/11/09) you're right, it IS "idiosyncratic" but I found it
compelling, the parts I followed from his video lectures and using his book.

   -- Owen