From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Eric Smith
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:48 AM
To: stephen.gue...@redfish.com; The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee
Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] [WedTech] Fwd: Cassini Photo: Stunning New Views of
Saturn’s Hexagon Storm – News Watch

I would be surprised if this were it, Steve.

Benard cells are a packing phenomenon, so they rely on the cooperative
effect through the lattice to form.  I assume this Saturn jet stream
basically has a latitudinal instability, and the interference effect from
having it recycle either adjusts the wavelength, or adjusts the position of
the circumference, so that it finds a consistent re-entrant pattern.

A thing that would be very cool is if, as the northern-hemisphere summer
goes on, enough more heat enters that part of the atmosphere that it drives
the stream differently, the natural wavelength of the instability changes,
and the belt goes into a new polygon like a pentagon, perhaps with a period
of chaos or something else complicated in the transition.

But, I have never done a real fluid-dynamics calculation, so this is of
course completely idle on my part.

Eric