Agree with what Josh has said; it is nice to separate the concepts from
technique (like readability) while also beginning to teach ideas like
giving variables and functions descriptive rather than throwaway names.

Also, I think the process of reëxamining what you have experienced so far
that has been presented as 'programming' is enough to ensure that you will
not confuse the differences between, say, Netlogo and TNG. That is to say,
it may be a problem to remember whether a mental rule for a parenthesis or
the word 'if' or whatever belongs to the model you made in your head when
you learned Lisp versus when you learned Python versus Javascript and so
on, but typing and connecting blocks is different enough so that seeing one
or the other will unavoidably remind you of what it was like to program in
that context (if that makes sense).

The downside to block-like languages is that, because the underlying code
is more complex than your average text language interpreter, sometimes it
glitches or behaves unexpectedly - of course, you get this in typed
language, but it is when you mistyped something or your model of how you
expected something to work turns out to be inaccurate or imprecise.
But then, I am basing a lot of this upon watching other people rather than
my own experience.

-Arlo James Barnes