Which reminds me of the research I posted about growing socially
intelligent agents by embedding them in an environment where they're forced
to play prisoners dilemma with each other over and over.  I wondered how
they would feel about having been subjected to thousands of generations of
this torture when they realized how we had grown them.  There are two
questions, of course: whether it's moral to torture pre-sentients to bring
them to sentience; and whether the resulting super-sentient will forgive
you when it becomes the master.

-- rec --