From: Friam [friam-boun...@redfish.com] on behalf of glen [g...@ropella.name]
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 6:24 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] "rational"

On 01/07/2014 02:50 PM, John Kennison wrote:
> Watching men neck in public makes me uncomfortable
> Married people are allowed to neck in public.
> Anything that makes me uncomfortable should be banned
> Therefore Gay marriage should be banned.
>
> AT any rate, my question would be: Is there a sense in which the above type
> of thinking (based on the premises Nick assumed) is irrational.

Well, we've been discussing exactly this.  If discomfort is a) opaque to
analysis and b) not shared by the audience, then it would fail to meet
some of the definitions of rational we've been discussing.

Similarly, if we adopt the distinction made by Roger's citing of
Altemeyer (or Steve's satisficing for the immediate and optimizing the
distal), then we could say that although the behavior may be beneficial,
it contains gaps in rationality.

But I also think it's flawed in the sense I tried to identify with
libertarians. (Or as Marcus just pointed out.) The dependence between
discomfort and banning behavior is myopic because it _selectively_
considers only a subset of the logical consequences of that premise.

--
⇒⇐ glen