From: glen [mailto:g...@ropella.name]
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2014 05:41 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [FRIAM] offtopic Qs

On 01/11/2014 11:32 AM, Gillian Densmore wrote:
> Is it just me or does it seem like a some drivers in SUVs have what
> amounts to zero situational awareness? I ask this several times now
> doing stuffs someperson in a SUVish car  will blow through intersections
> not bothering to check if anyone else around. For example I once saw
> someone hit sheriff car doing that. My follow up question is also does
> anyone have some speculations amusing or otherwise.

Not that I have any authority on this topic.  But I tend to think all
non-professional big vehicle drivers tend to have less "feel" for the
road than small vehicle drivers.  Based mostly on my experiences driving
my truck vs. my motorcycle vs. my bicycle, I know I feel my surroundings
more when my interface to them is more immediate.  I find myself forcing
extra attention to detail when driving my truck because I feel like I'm
encased in a sound-proof, heavy cage.

I suspect the SUV drivers you're talking about tend to only/mostly drive
that SUV and don't spend much time in smaller vehicles.  Or if they do,
they forget that they're insulated in those larger vehicles.

--
⇒⇐ glen e. p. ropella
Please don your goggles if you wish to resist.