What really burns my ass is that I had a series of e-mail convos with Bezos in the earliest days that could have lead them near here nearly 20 years ago? He engaged enough to convince me he took me seriously, but in the end... not so much.

At the time, I was trying to rescue an independent bookstore from the inevitable demise of the times and suggested (while Amazon was still *mostly* books) that if he could get in bed with existing *indies* (books or otherwise), they could act as a *cache* for AMZ... that instead of saying "ship it overnight for $8.99", or more to the point, in complement to that offer... "Or for the same $8.99, drop in at XYZ store at 123 ABC street and pick up your copy right now!"

The indies were scared (and rightly so) of online shopping, and too many locked their brakes and went into a four wheel skid over the cliff when some *very* judicious application of brake, gas, steering might have let more stay upright.

Sure, the indies would have to depend more on impulse buys, people coming in to pick up their heavily discounted copy of "whatever", but then that cup of coffee, that greeting card, that photo calendar, that fancy box of paper clips... *that* is what they'd have stayed alive with, and the *rest* of us would still have places to go in and browse, maybe see things juxtaposed we never knew we wanted to read.

Netflix got an early handle on things with their USPS deal to get notified when a DVD was mailed back... and then have caches in nearby cities (ABQ for us?) so that when I send something you are waiting for back, it never goes further than ABQ to get to you.

I am also left thinking of "memoisation" in CS.. though it is not a perfect fit.

When at Powells in Portland, they had a Print and Bind on Demand system, I think they were mainly offering works from Project Gutenberg (Copyright free, cost of printing only) but maybe some others. It is an idea that would have been powerful 20 years ago... but... I'm afraid with eBooks today it may be no more than an eclectic Anachronism.