On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Marcus G. Daniels <mar...@snoutfarm.com>wrote:

> On 1/22/14, 11:18 AM, Roger Critchlow wrote:
>
>> This is quite amusing, Tom.  More than an argument for eliminating
>> barriers to internet access, it's a whole new way to evaluate the social
>> costs of privileges which the privileged will eternally argue should be
>> eternally theirs because they stole them first.
>>
> Or because they can use the leverage of providing jobs and taxes to ensure
> their privileges.  The value and cost that can be seen as opposed to the
> open scheme that `merely' has theoretical arguments for it.

But _they're_ not providing the jobs and the taxes, the location is
providing the jobs and the taxes, all _they're_ providing is their monopoly
of control over the location.  Troy totally owns the approaches to the
Bosporus, so any you Aegeans who need to lay up waiting for the winds to
relent can pay the toll for sitting on our beach until you can row through
into the Black Sea, or we'll burn your ships and the survivors can try to
swim back to Greece.  It's probably already addressed in economic theory as
natural monopolies or public utilities.

The 'merely' theoretical arguments appear to be playing out in practice in
the ebook market.   There are authors who are deciding to ditch the
publishing industry altogether and just publish as independents, ebooks and
print on demand, subcontract the art and copy editing and proof reading and
promotion.  Here's a story by a proponent about a new proponent from
December, http://www.hughhowey.com/at-any-price-by-brenna-aubrey/, who
turned down a 6 figure contract.

-- rec --