Following Glen's lead to move the discussion of meritocracy here:

Nick... I think your understanding of a meritocracy is limited. To rephrase
your assertions:

Meritocracies favor the children of the meritorious, if those parents do
something to instil their meritorious nature into their children. My guess
is that the variance explained by this at mid-adulthood is under .3.
Regression towards the mean is a strong effect, and having gone to a better
elementary school can only help you so much at age 40.

Meritocracies favor those who disregard their families, unless individuals
also have to compete with meritorious couples and larger social units that
work collaboratively together to achieve even greater ends. Sure, we often
socially assign the "merit" to an individual member of such groups, but
that is a different problem all together.

Meritocracies favor those who disregard their communities, unless regard
for community is taken into account as one of the metrics of merit. For
example, in a healthy company (mythic entities, it would sometimes seem)
"managers" are people skilled at nurturing communities of a particular size
and scale. They also tend to be "good community members" by other metrics,
supporting Rotary, charity functions, etc., because, at the least, being a
good community member creates good business connections.

Finally: Does meritocracy favor those in the group that gets to decide
merit? Yeah, probably most of the time, unless some metric of otherness is
given merit - for example, if we think decisions are made better in teams
consisting of people who are not all from the group that holds power.

Also, valuing diversity is not contrary to being libertarian:
http://fixingpsychology.blogspot.com/2014/03/libertarianism-and-american-philosophy.html

Eric

P.S. I know this is a bit delayed. It is my first post in a year or two,
and it took a while to figure out how to get around the changes in email
address. Thanks Stephen for getting me back on the list with an address
from which I can send!

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Lab Manager
Center for Teaching, Research, and Learning
American University, Hurst Hall Room 203A
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20016
phone: (202) 885-3867   fax: (202) 885-1190
email: echar...@american.edu