Well, I don't know that Amazon is using MP3.  LIke you, I have MP3s available
for the physical CDs and they show up in my Amazon Prime Music Library.  In
fact, it is more likely that they are using AAC.  Like Apple and other on-line
streaming sources, if Amazon is using AAC they probably are using 96Kbit
streams which perform about the same as MP3.  Full "transparency" requires
128Kbit streams and even with those there is some loss.

I noticed the fades during sax or clarinet solos with backup instruments - just
the sort of environment that would require high frequencies for good
reproduction as the sound waves from different instruments combine.

I haven't tried it yet, but the definitive test is bagpipe music - no lossy
codec can reproduce bagpipes accurately.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov<mailto:rcpa...@sandia.gov>
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov<mailto:rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov> (send
NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov<mailto:dopa...@doe.ic.gov> (send NIPR reminder)