Nick:
I find your distinction between metaphysical questions and factual questions
helpful because it clarifies the vague feeling I expressed about making "some
sort of error" when I said that consciousness is "having an inner subjective
life". I no longer feel it is an error but I should categorize it as a
metaphysical position rather than a scientific fact. (I prefer the term
``scientific fact`` to your term ``fact``.) It still seems like a good argument
("I know consciousness exists because I experience it") even though this cannot
be a scientific argument.

Eric, Steve, et al:
Thanks for your very interesting comments. I would like to add some further
comments about Dennett. I both enjoyed and was frustrated by his book
"Consciousness Explained". I recommend it highly but with the following
caveats:

(1) I wish the book were organized differently. I think it should have started
with
"The Challenge" (section 5 of chapter 2, p.39-42). I paraphrase this challenge
as:
             First, Dennett says he wants to explain Consciousness in
scientific terms, without invoking anything beyond contemporary science. I take
this to mean that he wants to show that we can analyze and explain human
behavior entirely in scientific, materialistic terms without appealing to any
'mysterious' forces.  (Therefore, to focus on the behavior rather than the
motives, of conscious people, Dennett starts by telling speculative stories
about the phenomenology of consciousness.)
            Secondly, he doesn't want to be like behaviorists who "pretend they
don't have the experiences we know darn well they share they share with us. If
I [Dennett] wish to deny the existence of some controversial feature of
consciousness, the burden falls on me to that it is somehow illusory." (p.40 of
the book).
             Thirdly he wants to do an honest job of explaining the empirical
evidence.
This challenge intrigued me. The first and second goals seem almost
contradictory. I wondered how he could possibly pull it off.

(2) As far as I remember, Dennett never summarizes how he met this challenge.
(I read this book over 15 years ago and I might have forgotten the summary.  At
any rate, as I go over the book now, I can't find the kind of summary I would
like to see.)
So here is my summary of how Dennett did:
(a) After having read the book, I feel there is no theoretical barrier to
explaining all of the behavior of apparently conscious beings in purely
materialistic terms.
(b) My memory is that Dennett explains the feeling of being conscious in terms
of the strong AI hypothesis, which says that any system that carries out a
sufficiently complex task will automatically be conscious. I am not certain if
I believe this, but it or something like it seems necessary if we take the
first two goals seriously.  Dennett apparently believes that the emergence of
consciousness depends only on the behavior exhibited. By contrast, Chalmers
argues that a conscious systems and a non-conscious system could exhibit the
same type of behavior. I don't see any reason to favor either position, but I
prefer Chalmers.

(3) On Dennett's style: This is what I find both frustrating and intriguing. He
seems to discuss various ideas without fully arranging them into an argument,
as I would tend to do.  Dennett relies on this tendency of the reader to
complete the argument. So Dennett spends less time on argumentation and more on
telling stories. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. As mentioned above,
I came away with a strong feeling about the first part of the challenge. I also
had a strong feeling that our consciousness often fools us into thinking it is
in control when it isn't. I liked Dennett's presentation of the Pandemonium
model of language (based on work of Selfridge, Dawkins and others) and I feel
it explains a lot of things that would otherwise be murky. On the other hand, I
was dissatisfied with the chapter on "Qualia Disqualified". I even found myself
agreeing with his students (and others) that he hasn't really explained
consciousness --but I think he gave us a great tour of the issu
 es.  (If I had written the book, and arranged it more logically, the thread of
the arguments might have been clearer, but it would have been a much less
effective book.)

--John