Memory in the tech world, particularly tech journalism, is non-existent.  I
first ran an OS off a thumb drive years ago - the only reason I didn't do it
regularly was that USB ports were not ubiquitous.  Before that I ran an OS off
a CD with a thumb drive for data.  Heck, I started with personal computing with
an OS on a 5.25" 360K floppy (as an aside, it takes just as long to compile a
program now as it did back then with a dual floppy setup - one of the constants
of the computing world).

  There's a reason we who live in the computing world long enough become jaded
at the re-invention of old, sometimes failed, concepts.  Partly that trend is
offset by the rediscovery of technology that worked better than its fashionable
replacement.  Partly that trend is amusing - I don't know how many grand,
unified military logistics systems I've watched fail and we're on about the
fifth iteration of AI.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov<mailto:rcpa...@sandia.gov>
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov<mailto:rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov> (send
NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov<mailto:dopa...@doe.ic.gov> (send NIPR reminder)