An overheating video card will shut down a system. I have one that
does (did) it. I use a laptop as a video player driving an external
VGA display. It would periodically shut down while playing video (and
only then). Setting it up in a A-frame position and ensuring moving
room air was blowing through it helped.

I recently took it apart because of the sudden appearance of noise in
the displayed video. It seems that the constant high heat had actually
vaporized the solder on some of the contacts of the VGA connector to
the main board. I refreshed the solder, and the problem... evaporated.
I've decided to leave the keyboard and top cover (touch pad) off to
help it stay cool. I use it with a wireless keyboard and mouse,
anyway.