A bootable backup for me (Mac) means SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner which
have an option to make the backup disk bootable .. i.e. when booting, hold
down a magic key and the boot program gives you the choice of which device
to boot from.

This is especially lovely when a disk goes bad .. you can literally replace
the bad one with the backup.  Yes, you'll be missing some work done since
the backup, but Dropbox and others take care of that.  Lets you backup at a
reasonable interval (week?) or when you do system updates (new OS, new
Apps, etc)

   -- Owen