The facts of the matter are that you can get a political body to do
anything, once you've talked enough people into believing that it should be
done.  And you don't have to talk people into believing in contamination
because that's been part of our explanations forever, so arguing to isolate
the potential vectors of contamination is a no brainer, hence a viable
political policy for both Christie and Cuomo.  That it's a viable policy
doesn't prevent it from being a stupid policy for all the reasons Kaci
Hickox and others have given.

But going beyond the best recommendations of scientists isn't totally
irrational, either.  Scientists have been known to change their
recommendations from time to time.  Being part of the road kill that led to
a change of scientific opinion isn't a winning strategy.  Note that
everything that scientists knew about flu epidemics in March 1918 turned
out to be piss poor preparation for the strain of influenza that appeared
in August 1918 in Brest, Boston, and Sierra Leone.   Diseases do change
their characteristics, sometimes drastically, especially when large
populations get infected so the disease can explore the adjacent
possibilities.

Pittsburgh quarantined Allegheny County from the rest of Pennsylvania
during the 1918-1919 flu pandemic.  Nothing of any use in fighting the flu
was shared with any of the surrounding areas.  What came into or originated
in Pittsburgh stayed in Pittsburgh: medicine, hospital equipment and
supplies, coffins, food, ....  They were so successful in keeping it all
for themselves that they were chastised in the pandemic post mortem by the
national leadership of the Red Cross for their selfishness and the
suffering that they caused their neighbors.

We tell each other stories about how things work.  Some are complete
bullshit, but that never stopped anyone from acting as if they were the
truth.  When people decide how to act, their reasons become part of their
own story of how they work.

I guess that's why it's important to include "learning from experience" in
one's own story of how one works.

-- rec --